Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

"Mark but this flea"

So we had to take Calvin and Susie to the vet last week for their yearly shots. The cat carrier is a lot heavier when it's holding two overweight full-grown cats, rather than two kittens! Anyway, as we were leaving, the cashier asked us if we needed any products - any food, medicines, flea protection. I declined, since they're indoor cats and we've never had any problems with pests.

I had to say it. Of course we never had any problems with pests. Until I took our cats to the vet. And now they both have FLEAS.

At first, Jon and I couldn't figure out where all the red itchy bumps were coming from. He didn't even notice any bumps on himself until about a week went by and I insisted that he must have some, if I keep getting bitten. So we checked the cats, and sure enough - fleas.

Of course it was after office hours for the vet, and I insisted that we had to start addressing this flea problem RIGHT NOW. So I went to the store to survey the options. Shampoo? Yeah right. Susie doesn't even let us brush her half the time. Powder seemed risky, so we went with the over-the-counter gel.

Do not ever buy the over-the-counter, under $20 flea control. Just don't. It was on the cats for about 60 seconds before they licked near it and started twitching and foaming at their tiny little mouths. I panicked.

"Jon, we have to wash it off! It's going to kill the kitties!"

The cats were already going crazy by this point, but we eventually wrangled them into the tub, rubbed some soap on the spot, and hosed them down. Thank goodness for removable massaging shower heads.

Did I mention my husband is a saint? My husband is a saint.

So I went to the vet today and bought the good stuff. In addition, we're removing the fleas the old-fashioned way - a comb and a cup of rubbing alcohol + water (to drown the little blood-sucking buggers). We're also vacuuming and washing the sheets. A lot.

Mean little things.

Love,

Katie

2 comments:

  1. Foaming at the mouths? OMG! Poor kitties! And poor you! I couldn't help but laugh at your emergency cat-washing. Did you know you can actually buy a ripstop nylon mesh bag to put your cat in while bathing it? Just their heads stick out, and it's like swaddling them, so they can't scratch & scrabble. I can't decide if it's cruel or GENIUS.

    Once Lenny's hair fell out on the spot I had put his flea medicine, and I freaked out, but then I read the package and apparently that is a harmless side effect. It's never happened again, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just wash ours, which isn't too bad. If you'd like to see how I do it sometime, let me know--we need to give them another flea bath soon, as we've been having problems since the last vet visit as well.

    There's some shampoo I bought on recommendation that works really well, but the procedure to use it is a bit time consuming. It does the trick though!

    ReplyDelete