Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Changing the world

When I was young, I set out to change the world. When I grew older, I perceived that this was too ambitious, so I set out to change my state. This too, I realized as I grew older was too ambitious, so I set out to change my town. When I realized I could not even do this, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I know that I should have started by changing myself. If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded in changing my family, the town, or even the state - and who knows, maybe even the world! 
- Unknown Rabbi

I don't know where this quote comes from. (Maybe I should ask a librarian!) I heard it in a sermon last week. But it has been true to my experience, at least recently. God does a lot of fantastic miracles, but one of the most incredible is the healing and sanctifying of his children's souls. I think sometimes the world (and the Enemy) can distract us from this holy work by confronting us with "larger, more important" problems to worry and pray about: war, famine, elections, sickness. We certainly should think and pray about such things. But so many times when I bring these things to God, He responds by bringing to light the dark hidden places within myself that He wants to right. Perhaps healing a broken world starts by healing broken people.

No comments:

Post a Comment