Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Keeping up with the Joneses

Earlier today, on Gchat, with Jonny:

11:32 AM me: Ok, I'm in a bit of an acquisition frenzy.
11:33 AM wantwantwantwantwantwant
11:36 AM I went to FM and found some fabric...and then I thought, well, I shouldn't buy fabric until I get a rug, and I WANT A RUG AND A FABRIC AND A PERFECT HOUSE AND YARD AND EVERYTHING AND A PONY.
  whew.
  I feel better now.
  seriously though. Forget flowers. Buy me a rug.
  Just kidding.
  Mostly.
  Mostly kidding.
11:37 AM I hope you are amused by this one-sided exchange, and not disgusted with my materialism.
  Or annoyed at having your wife interrupt your work.
11:40 AM How's about we don't buy anyone Christmas presents this year, and instead buy ourselves presents? I want a rug.
11:41 AM ok, just kidding about that one. Really.
Later, Jonny reminded me that we have been saving eating-out money for occasions such as these, and that my half of the pot o' money was technically enough to buy the rug. (I was planning to save it for a porch swing...well, a yard-swing, since we don't have a porch. But you get the idea.)

12:24 PM me: ...oh.
  damn.
  Now I actually have to consider it.
 Jonny: :)
  Sorry, didn't mean to make things harder.
12:25 PM me: no, it's ok!
  It's not harder. It's just more complicated.
  It's like saying, yes, you can eat the cheesecake, but you have to skip dinner. Instead of just saying, NO CHEESECAKE. MAN UP.
 Jonny: Or, in average person parlance, "It's not harder. It's just harder."
  
I'm a bit childish when I really want something.


Anyway, I debated it all afternoon and tried to envision it in my living room. I read every product review. I imagined stretching out on it and burrowing my face into its cheap low-pile. (It is only $100, after all.) I reminded myself that I will only do this once, because after Gus spits up on it a few times, it will smell like sour milk. I pictured myself cleaning spit-up off the rug every 24 hours.

But our living room desperately needs a textile infusion - it looks and feels cold and uninviting. And I thought it would be much easier to match new drapes to a rug I already have than it would be to try to buy a rug online and match it to my drapes. (Colors are never quite what you expect.)

So I clicked "Confirm Purchase," and felt that lovely adrenaline rush that only spending moderate to large sums of money can give me. And there was much squee-ing. And hopefully when it arrives next Monday, it will be just right, and not too orange, or too beige, or too brown, or...

It will be just right.

(Hopefully.)

Love, 

Katie

1 comment: