Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Heroes

My big brother is a hero.

He's absent from a lot of the stories I tell about my childhood, because for the first sixteen years of his life, he lived with his mom. But he would visit, and my sister and I would fight over who got to sit next to "Thumper" at dinner. His name is John Jr, but I guess everyone thought that was confusing with John Sr. around, so until fifth grade, that's the only name I knew him by. And yes, that means I just outed his childhood family nickname to everyone on the internet. What are sisters for?

When I started middle school, Thumper moved in with us. We didn't really get close. I was in middle school, remember? I wasn't really bonding with anyone at that age. But he played football, and I went to all his games. Thanks to him, I impress my husband with my knowledge of referee hand signals.

When he graduated from high school, Thumper joined the Navy. He met and married a gorgeous woman, and they have three beautiful children. In the years following his time in the Navy, he worked very hard, often multiple jobs, to provide for his family and become an EMT, then a firefighter. He's also an excellent cook!

Obviously I am proud of John for so many things. But I don't think I've ever felt prouder than tonight when I saw this photo:


I think this is my brother, a firefighter in Joplin, MO...or a long-lost twin. He and his family are safe, and he's working very hard to help everyone who is not - even if he's not the hero in this particular photo. I love him and his family very much, and I'm honored to be a part of it. I pray for his safety, and the safety of his colleagues, friends, and neighbors in Joplin, and I hope you will do the same.

Love, 

Katie

3 comments:

  1. Katie, I saw this photo and was struck by the expression on his face. His look of concern for this girl was so touching I burst into tears. Thank him for me and all the residents of my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings, strength, courage, and thanks to everyone who is there helping and supporting the community and surroundings right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    This is so moving. I'm glad your brother is safe. And, he is definitely in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete