Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

One Minute Book Review: Gogo Monster



I found this gem while browsing the internet for some lighthearted shoujo manga (hey, don't judge) - but it is anything but. It still looked good, so I asked the library if they'd order it, and they did! Don't you love the library? (Hint: the answer is either, "yes," or, "not yet.")

Anyway, Gogo Monster is an ADULT graphic novel about a Japanese boy who feels monsters in his school. I emphasize adult not because it's heavy on sex or violence, but because the plot doesn't sound that grown-up. And boy, this book is dark. It reminded me of a cross between Donnie Darko and the strangest parts of Spirited Away.



Anyway, Yuki (the boy) has always felt that the monsters were nice, or at least ambivalent. But his behavior grows increasingly erratic as he feels their control of the school slipping to a new crowd of monsters - ones that aren't so nice. You're never really sure if the monsters are real or if Yuki is actually disturbed. Oh, and there's a kid who wears a box over his head all the time, and he's Really Flippin Weird.

So that's Gogo Monster in a nutshell. The art is mesmerizing, and it only took me a few hours to read (the first time - it's confusing enough to warrant multiple readings). If it's your cup of tea, it comes with high recommendation. 

Love,

Katie

P.S. In other graphic novel news (old news, but news nonetheless) - TokyoPop is shutting down U.S. operations. And my new favorite manga is published by them, which means I MAY NEVER FIND OUT HOW IT ENDS! (Ok, it's shoujo, so girl gets boy, obviously...but HOW?) Katie = sad.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry for the death of TokyoPop US, not because I read those things, but because I know the pain of having your favorite series get canned midway through its third season. Ah well. At least the writers had time to wrap Beast Wars up.

    I really need to see Donnie Darko...

    ReplyDelete