Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

So not the drama.

I wish I could tell you that in the last month, I've been having amazing adventures, exploits too scandalous to publicize on the internet. Well, I can tell you that. I'm a horrible liar, though, so you'd probably know how true that is (or isn't.)

I did get to meet a policeman at Hobby Lobby yesterday, though. I was running a ton of errands yesterday, and bought some fabric to make curtains for our bedroom at FM Store. It was a terrific bargain, so when I paid with my $50 bill, I got a $20 bill in change.

I almost asked for a different bill - it was weird. It was the old style of bill, with the small face, but it felt brand-new. It was printed strangely - the front didn't have an equal border around all the sides, so the design was cut off at the top just a skotch.

But there had already been a mix-up at the register. The clerk had overcharged me and I'd pointed it out, and she and two managers were huddled around the ancient machine trying to get it to void the first purchase correctly. Not wanting to make a bigger stink, I just took the bill and left. I went straight to Hob Lob, rounded up my needs, and attempted to pay with the $20 I just received.

That's when they called the cops on me.

Ok, so they were super-nice about it. They checked it under the little blacklight machine (three of them, actually), and said they were suspicious of the bill, but not of me. I waited for the police to get there. He checked all the $20s in my purse, asked me where I got the imposter twenty (it's a great thing that I tried to spend it right away, so I remembered!) and marked on it with a pen. He said it could just be really old - it was from 1981 but still felt brand new - but he had to confiscate it because it was really suspicious and he wasn't sure. But he didn't arrest me or anything! Very dramatic.

I didn't read much Babysitter's Club when I was a kid, but I did read the one where Stacey gets in trouble for accidentally passing a counterfeit bill. Of course, since it's the Babysitter's Club, the girls take it upon themselves to catch the counterfeiters, and, since it's the Babysitter's Club, they succeed! That's all I remember about the book, but I kept thinking about it at Hobby Lobby yesterday. Thankfully, I probably look like a counterfeiter about as much as a preteen goody-two-shoes babysitter, so I was safe.

Love,

Katie

3 comments:

  1. I still remember Ann M. Martin is the author of that series because of your "Great Authors, Great Literature" project. I find it amusing that you, Wendy, and Mary chose AMM/The Babysitter's Club for such a study. Though, Chris V. and I weren't much better with The Hardy Boys and Edward Stratemeyer--I'm still not quite sure how he died...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to do Gertrude Warner (who wrote "The Boxcar Children") but couldn't convince anyone else to do it with me. I worked alone on it for a whole day before I got lonely and asked to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE Gertrude Warner! I think we might be distant relatives, actually.

    What an exciting adventure with a counterfeit $20!

    ReplyDelete