Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Is it fear or courage which compels you, Fleshling?

There comes a time in every kitteh's life when he is forced to confront his worst fears:


Humans are not exempt from this. Readers, meet my private shame:

My office. Eek.


Private shame, meet readers:


Ok, so this isn't exactly private - we host board game night every Wednesday, so people see it every week. But that doesn't make me feel any less ashamed!

Now before you say anything: I firmly believe that messes are like weight issues. It's not a competition. One person's mess (or weight) is infinitely more frustrating to them than to anyone else. And it never helps to hear, "Well, you're thinner/more organized than me, so what do you know?" It just makes one feel more shameful, not less. So please comment with wisdom and kindness.

Ahem. /rant

So my hope is that by publishing photos of my private shame, I'll be motivated to correct it. It will be more fun to post "after" photos when it's all cleaned up.

Those are just boxes filled with random objects - from batteries to paperclips to USB cords. A banana box and a basket full of objects smaller than tennis balls! Yup...this will be a long haul.

Plus, there are lots of fun projects I've been meaning to create and post about, and I can't do anything until I have a workspace to create in.

So a week from today, I solemnly promise to post "after" pictures of my office, no matter how badly I fail at the organization mission. There will be posts about things that are more exciting than cleaning too, I promise. Thanks for serving as my motivation and support group - everything's better with a party!

Love,

Katie

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You can do it!!!! I can't wait to see the after pictures!

    I'm so with you on the "one person's mess/weight." I had a friend in high school. She was a bit heavier than me, but in that bouncy-curvy way. She also had awesome boobs. So she would complain about having to buy the bra with the wide-support straps and how hard it was to run in gym class and I would silently wish to strangle her. Then I would complain about being jiggly and cellulitey (I am NOT bouncy-curvy) and about my body's unfair sense of top-bottom proportion and she would feel the same itchy-fingers. We discovered there is something very Zen about it all. Like, we are all looking at each other, thinking, "She is so gorgeous!" and yet we never realize how nice that is.

    However, when it comes to messiness, I am the messiest of any woman I know.

    Calvin doesn't look very scared of Optimus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, many a blogger would take an opportunity like this to blame their spouse for at least some part of the mess. You didn't. Thanks! I realize that you wouldn't publicly shame me like that, but as someone who grew up expecting to be Raymond Barone, it's nice to have a wife who takes rather than deflects responsibility.

    In summary, our office may be a mess, but our relationship is healthy!

    @Sadie - that's just Calvin putting on a brave face. He was *terrified*, I can assure you.

    ReplyDelete